It seems that the movies Grumpy Old Men, and Grumpier Old Men are based on stereotypes that just aren’t true.
New research claims that we get happier as we get older.
Although physically the quality of life diminishes as we age, new research suggests that our mental satisfaction increases over time.
Researchers analyzed the lifestyle the lifestyle and health patterns of more than 10,000 people in the U.S. and the U.K. They used eight different factors to evaluate quality of life using eight different factors, including perception of general health, pain, social functioning, and mental health.
Dr Saverio Stranges, who led the study, said happiness may increase with age because we develop ‘better coping abilities’ to deal with hardship than younger people. “It’s obvious that people’s physical quality of life deteriorates as they age, but what is interesting is that their mental well-being doesn’t also deteriorate – in fact it increases,” he added.
“We suggest that this could be due to better coping abilities, an interpretation supported by previous research showing older people tend to have internal mechanisms to deal better with hardship or negative circumstances than those who are younger.”
“It could also be due to a lowering of expectations from life, with older people less likely to put pressure on themselves in the personal and professional spheres.”
The study also showed that those who slept between six and eight hours per day had better physical and mental health compared those who slept less than six or more than eight hours on average. So get your rest, but not too much.
- Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade: Everything You Need to Know
- Adam Sandler’s ‘Thanksgiving Song’ Revisited
- Bob Seger Talks Health Issues & New Glenn Frey-Inspired Album
- Eleven Gifts for Every Kind of ‘Stranger Things’ Fan on Your Holiday Shopping List
- Gene Simmons Apologizes to Fox News for Bizarre Behavior
- Steely Dan’s Donald Fagen Suing Walter Becker’s Estate
- The Limited Edition 2017 KLUV Christmas Ornament
- Artists Remember David Cassidy
- ‘Partridge Family’ Star David Cassidy Dead at 67
- Chief Hopper From ‘Stranger Things’ Dances to Rock and Roll Favorites: Watch